Tuesday, July 21, 2009

That was then. This is now.

In 1972, I had screwed around in college and lost my student deferment. I was working in a department store selling cameras when I came home one day. There on the den table was a neatly stacked pile of brown envelopes. One was from the Navy. Another from the Air Force, the Army, the Marines and the Coast Guard. Curious, I thought. My draft number was 92 and they had only been taking draftees through 70 and I had only three months to go before I fell back to the secondary pool.

The next day, Secretary of Defense Melvin Laird announced they were drafting another 50,000 young men and the draft number was moving to 95.

The very next day, I received a letter in the mail that began: "Greetings from the President of the United States." I was in the Army.

Yesterday, an Army Reserve recruiter called for Mark.

Then Secretary of Defense Robert Gates announced that the Army needed another 20,000 men.

Soooooo.......

4 comments:

MightyMom said...

yikes....

lovenotwar said...

I wish the VA would hurry up with processing that paperwork...maybe those recruiters should post themselves out front of unemployment centers and get willing people to enlist as opposed to calling back disabled vets in college who've served their time and are trying to re-adjust to civilian life. ARG!

Anonymous said...

Oh no. So now what?

Airborne dad said...

He should be OK. But it's in the VA's hands now and it takes forever to get the paperwork processed.